Thursday, September 6, 2012

mini pumpkin donuts

Um, yum.  I was craving some pumpkin the other day.  I found this recipe and was ready to bake!  I purchased this mini-donut pan from Amazon and a couple of days later I was finally really ready...

I followed the recipe below. The only thing that I would change is I wouldn't coat the entire donut in the cinnamon sugar mixture.  I would just do the tops.  I also made a vanilla glaze to top some of them as well. These were a big hit with my family. I will definitely make them again!



Mini Pumpkin Donuts

Makes 48 mini donuts

For Donuts:

1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup canned pumpkin (I put the extra in a freezer bag in the freezer)
1/2 cup skim milk

For Coating:
1/2 cup butter, melted
2/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cinnamon

For Vanilla Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tbl skim milk
1 tsp vanilla
(put all in small bowl and combine).

Preheat oven 350 F.  Spray the donut pan with Pam and set aside.

In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt and spices together and set aside.

In a large bowl (or the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment) whisk together oil, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, pumpkin and milk until combined. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the mixture and stir until just combined, careful not to over mix.
Using a pastry bag or a steady hand and a spoon, fill each donut cup with the batter.  The donut cups should be fairly full, but not overflowing. Bake for 8-9 minutes, until donuts spring back when gently pressed (if you're using a larger donut pan, allow them to bake for 12-15 minutes).  Tutn donuts out onto a wire rack and allow to cool for a few minutes.  I put foil under my racks to prevent a big mess.

While the donuts are cooling, melt butter in one bowl and combine the sugar and cinnamon in another.  When donuts are still hot (but not too hot to touch), quickly dip each donut  top in melted butter, then dip in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Or omit the butter step then dip the top in the vanilla glaze mixture.

*Note: If you're not going to serve the donuts immediately, you can bake them up to a day in advance and store them in an airtight container.  Do not coat them in the butter/cinnamon-sugar mixture until just before serving or they may get soggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment