Thursday, September 13, 2012

the best roast

For years, I mean years, I have been trying to find the perfect roast recipe. My mom always made the best roast but mine never turned out like hers. I have gone through pounds and pounds of meat with no success. But I am no quitter.  I keep trying recipes and finally stumbled upon this one.  It's from Martha, of course.  I have made it numerous times and every time it tastes absolutely perfect.  I will even say it is better than mom's *gasp.*  I have started buying larger roasts so that we can have roast one night then roast sandwiches the next day.  It is that good.... and it's all done in the crock pot.  Below is my roast recipe then what to do with the leftovers....


What you will need:
1 crockpot
1 tbl corn starch
2 tbl cold water
3 tbl worcestershire sauce
Salt & Pepper
1 arm roast (around 3 pounds), I have used all different cuts of roast
2 cups carrots (I use the mini snack carrots)
1 onion (sliced... I use frozen chopped up onions)

Directions:
1.  In crock pot, stir together water and corn starch until smooth. 
2.  Add carrots and onions.
3.  Put roast on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Drizzle with Worcestershire sauce.
5. Cook on low for 10 hours (or on high for 6 hours)

Once you are ready to dish up your roast, you can use a fork and get pieces out of the crockpot.  Make sure and drizzle a little bit of the juice to drizzle on top.  Serve with mashed potatoes.  Such a great hearty meal.  Perfect for fall!


Roast Sandwiches

The next day for lunch or for dinner you can have roast sandwiches....  

1.  Take about 3/4 cup of the roast juice and put it in a saucepan.  Heat it up on low. 
2.  Add a couple of spoonfuls of flour. Whisk together while it is heating up.  Once it reaches the consistency I want for my gravy, I take it off the heat.  You can use more or less flour depending on how thick you like your gravy.  If you get too thick, add more roast juice.
3.  Heat up your roast in the microwave.
4. Once roast is heated, shred with a fork and then mix it with the gravy.  

Now, you can serve the roast mix on regular bread or a bun or whatever bread product you like. I serve it on the frozen yeast rolls I get from Sam's. These are the best rolls and I use them for everything! They only take 10 minutes in the oven and they are to die for!  


Pair your roast sandwich with chips or fries or leftover mashed potatoes.  Oh so good...

No comments:

Post a Comment